Today was the first big workday at the new SDK Community Garden. We started it with a quick lesson on Soil biology, texture, structure, acidity, and nutrition, then moved on to the big work of the day: fixing the poor-draining garden beds. One participant did it all in bare feet!!
First we removed all of the top soil — about 10 or 15 cm. The layer underneath is very heavy.
Next we broke up the hard clay layer as much as we could and mixed it with wood chips. A nearby stadium donated a huge amount of horse poop and straw. They even delivered it right into the compost bins:
We added the straw-manure mixture:
We decided to leave this and let the organic matter break down a bit. We’d like to build raised beds here…