Translate this Page

May 302014
 

Today was Work Day or Open Day at the Common Garden in the Służewiecki Dom Kultury. The “Wspólne Ogród” is still in its infancy and it hasn’t been easy to attract local residents to participate. Today, however, a great guy who has been helping a lot lately, Wojtek, stopped by with a new part for the hose. He helped move some dirt and some giant rocks. Hurray!

There has been a big pile of muł (pronounced “moo”), that is to say silt, just sitting in the path for weeks. It came up from the bottom of the beds. Up until just now this very moment, I thought it was “ił” (pronounced “ew” as in yuck or gross) because someone told me so and I never looked it up. I looked it up. Muł is SILT. Ił is LOAM. But  “muł” also means “mule” and ił is just muł with sand…. This is it:

sdk_0530_IMG_1213

After discussing with Wojtek what we could do with this pile of muł (throw it over the fence, spread it around a little here a little there) I suddenly got the idea to mix the silt (maybe about 60 liters) with the acid peat that was donated by Plantico. So that’s what we did: 180 liters of peat with 60 liters of silt. Starting to look like SILTY LOAM. Don’t ask me what THAT is in Polish. This is silt with peat (muł z torfem):

sdk_0530_torfandew_IMG_1222

I also made some beautiful balls:

sdk_0530_balls_IMG_1219

The garden is looking good. Each bed is its own universe of experimentation!

sdk_bednumbers_IMG_1225

1 – Veges and herbs (mostly brassicas)
2 – Veges and herbs (mostly tomatoes and peppers)
3 – Nothing yet. A dirt-holding bed
4 – Double dug, and then soil over a “Permaculture bed” (grass, straw, woodchips)
5 – Compost bed
6 – Double dug and planted with a couple of pumpkins so far
7 – Lupine and alfalfa (łubin, lucerne)8 – Lupine and alfalfa (łubin, lucerne) with 4 tomato plants planted into the green manure
9 – A woman planted some cilantro and radish here!
10 – Mustard and Lupin (Gorczyca, łubin) plus 2 fennel and some wild mint

 

 

Apr 062014
 

sdk_feet_IMG_0780

Today was the first big workday at the new SDK Community Garden. We started it with a quick lesson on Soil biology, texture, structure, acidity, and nutrition, then moved on to the big work of the day: fixing the poor-draining garden beds. One participant did it all in bare feet!!

First we removed all of the top soil — about 10 or 15 cm. The layer underneath is very heavy.
sdk_dig_IMG_0784

Next we dug a few holes with the amazing dirt driller:
sdk_drill_IMG_0787

The wholes were about 8 cm wide and 1 m deep.
sdk_drill_in_IMG_0785

These we filled with landscape fabric “socks” filled with gravel.
sdk_gravel_IMG_0789

The finished drains looks like a cute bow tie:
sdk_april6_gravel_bowtie_IMG_0792

Next we broke up the hard clay layer as much as we could and mixed it with wood chips. A nearby stadium donated a huge amount of horse poop and straw. They even delivered it right into the compost bins:

sdk_binofhorsepoop_IMG_0773

We added the straw-manure mixture:

sdk_manurethrowing_IMG_0794

We decided to leave this and let the organic matter break down a bit. We’d like to build raised beds here…

sdk_finishedbed_IMG_0793

This is what it looked like when all was done — a bit of a mess!! That’s a work-in-progress.
sdk_april6_theend_IMG_0800