People are asking me for this recipe so here it is! I don’t have a picture. Do YOU ???
Baharat / Arabic Spice
All spices should be ground — freshly ground, if possible.
- 30 ml cumin / kmin rzymski
- 20 ml fblack pepper / pieprz czarne
- 15 ml coriander / kolendra
- 15 ml cloves / góżdziki
- 10 ml cinnamon / cynamon
- 5 ml nutmeg / gałka muszkatołowa
- 3 ml cardamom / kardamon malabarski
Mujadara with greens
Mujadara with ( wild ) greens (adapted from this NY times recipe)
- 250 g brown or green lentils
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt, more as needed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250 g basmati / jasmine rice
- 15 ml baharat (arabic spice) — use more if you like
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 4 cups trimmed and chopped spring greens (Wild spinach, wild mustard, sorrel, yellow/curly dock , wintercress, shepard’s purse or a combination of all – look for tart, pungent, or mild greens, not bitter greens)
- Wash lentils. Cook lentils for about 10 minutes – until about half cooked. Do not overcook. Lentils will still be a little hard, but you’ll be able to bite through them. Strain the lentils. Keep the liquid.
- Rinse greens in a colander and chop into medium sized pieces or strips, as you wish. Set aside.
- Halve leeks lengthwise; clean. Slice into thin strips lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crispy, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer half the leeks to a bowl to use for garnish and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Stir garlic into the pot with the remaining leeks and cook for 15 seconds until fragrant.
- Add rice to pot and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add baharat, cayenne, allspice to the pot and sauté 30 seconds.
- Drain lentils and stir into pot.
- Use liquid from lentils and add water until you have about 4 cups. Liquid should cover the lentil-rice mixture by about 1 cm. Add this liquid plus salt, bay leaf and cinnamon stick to the pot. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Open pot and spread greens over lentil mixture. Cover and cook 5 minutes more, until rice and lentils are tender and greens are wilted.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with reserved crispy leeks. Also good with yogurt, parsley, cilantro and/or cucumbers.