Here are the boxes on June 30, seven weeks after they were planted. All of the broccoli, spinach, radishes, lettuce and most of the kohlrabi has already been harvested! One mistake we made was neglecting to plant new seeds each week, so that we’d have a flow of food. Oops. Two weeks ago or so we seeded some arugula, collard greens, amaranth, and more lettuce.
SOMEONE is / THEY are fixing up the dryer-suszarnia-gazebo structure. Hurrah. I like to think that someone read my mind about repairing this thing, but probably it’s just a coincidence. Yes, it must be a coincidence because they aren’t PAINTING IT RED like I wanted them to. The guys fixing it up say they don’t know why they are fixing it up. No plans, they say. The pigeons are gone. Here is what it looked like on June 29, 2012:
I have been doing a lot of experiments with Elderflowers, starting on May 27, when I made some Elderflower cordial for the wild food walk on the Warsaw Escarpment. My friends Wojtek and Aneta posted the recipe here in Polish and English. They made some with honey and mixed it with Krupnik. It was fantastic.
Now I’ve decided to make some wine and champagne before the flowers are gone, but it will be a long time before I know if it worked or not. I collected all the flowers from my neighborhood Rakowiec/Ochota and some close by in Mokotów.
Step 1 is to prepare the must. I’ve made two batches — one will be wine and one champagne. In the first experiment I let the flowers soak for four days, and then added the rest of the stuff. In the second I mixed all the ingredients and let it soak. They don’t have the same ingredients.
Day 1-4: Soak 500 ml of flowers, zest of 2 lemons in 4.5 l of boiled spring water
Day 5: Add campden tablet & wait 24 hours at room temperature
Day 6: Add 1 kg of sugar, juice of 2 lemons, 1 packet EC-1118 wine yeast
Put in the basement (20C). When wine is at BRIX 7 /SG 1.03, move to demijohn.
Day 1: Soak 500 ml flowers with sugar, rind and juice of 2 lemons, 250 g white raisins, 4.5 l of hot boiled water with 1/2 cup of strong green tea and 1.3 kg of sugar
Day 2: add 1 tsp yeast nutrient and 1.25 tsp SN9 wine yeast
One day at room temperature, then move to basement (20C). When wine is at BRIX 7/SG 1.03, move to demijohn.
Well it’s mid-June and a lot has been harvested already from the boxes. Mostly, lettuce and spinach. There is also a lot of kohlrabi (kalerepa). I made this great meal called Dum Monj with it. It’s uses the greens, which you can’t get unless you grow kohlrabi yourself, and asafoetida, which is a weird and delicious Indian spice. I must have made it four times this month already.
In June, we’ll try to get back to a semi-regular schedule. I’ve been gone or busy so many Sundays, it’s been difficult to keep the Open Time. In June the Railroad Garden will be open the following hours, except as noted:
Here is a plan of major activities:
June 2 – Build a batch compost pile; Cut, trim & sort branches & wood; Dig up concrete blocks & make new paths
June 10 – OFF. GONE BIKING.
June 17 – Remove remaining garbage; Cut, trim & sort branches & wood;
June 24 – TBD, Check back later in the month